Social media refers to a class of web portals, which are user-oriented and are based on users- participation. According to Wikipedia, social media is a term used to describe the type of media that is based on conversation and interaction between people online. Where media means digital words, sounds & pictures which are typically shared via the internet and the value can be cultural, societal or even financial. Thus, social media is a wide term used for a range of activities based on integrated technology and involves social interaction between members using words, pictures, videos, etc. Some popular examples of the social networking sites like LinkedIn or Facebook, social bookmarking sites like Del.icio.us, social news sites like Digg or Reddit, and other sites that are centered on user interaction.
In other words, social media is a term used to describe those networking platforms, which are based on conversation and interaction between people online. It not only facilitates peer to peer contacts rather it can provide a good marketing place for every type of business owners.
The usage of social medias have gone up substantially during last few years. The figures of users have multiplied by several folds in a very short time span in western and developed countries. The popularity of these solutions is always high in advance nations. Interestingly, the under-developed and developing countries like India these social medias have a deep reach among youths.
According to reports, the users of Facebook are up by 69 percent and the figure for Twitter is 45 percent alone in a country like the US during last one year.
Twitter’s popularity has gone up by leaps and bounds in the US. The survey report said that 87% of all Americans are now aware of Twitter — up from 5% in 2008 — but only 7% of the population actually use it.
According to wikipedia social media can be said to have three components:
1. Concept (art, information, or meme).
2. Media (physical, electronic, or verbal).
3. Social interface (intimate direct, community engagement, social viral, electronic broadcast or syndication, or other physical media such as print).
SOCIAL MEDIA AND BLOGGERS
It’s a real hard job to get noticed with a new website/blog, even a several hundred and thousand of dollars investment didn’t work out sometime. There can be a number of entrepreneurial mistakes cost you dearer resulting loss of money. The absence of proper promotion strategy, wrong choice of advertising programs or internet marketing company, black hat SEO, less experience in blogging, etc. can be the reasons for the death of your blog.
Social media is an excellent platform specially for new bloggers. As we discussed earlier the users of these popular medias are growing tremendously so these social networking sites can prove to be the heaven for bloggers.
Here, I would like to point out some main advantages of social media networking sites:
Free of Cost : A blogger can promote his/her content on social media for free. In other words the probability of getting maximum views at least possible cost increases by several times in social medias.
Less time consumption : Getting involved in the social media sites requires less time. Just spare an hour or half an hour in a day and you can connect with number of like-minded people and reach your target audience.
Huge viewership : The social networking sites are used by millions of users from all across the world. Moreover these medias are now converting into encyclopedia of knowledge and they are now even regarded as a place of learning so many users prefer these sites to search engines. These medias has categories, then sub categories on a particular subject or topic so users often find then easier to fulfill their search needs.
Investment can be a good option but why not pick up some real powerful and free of cost tools like social media that can really help you grow with your blog. Since social media sites have a huge base of its members any business owner can find its target audience by using these sites. But social media can’t do everything for the business therefore it is highly advisable to draw a blue-print of your social media strategy.
Must remember points
Like any other marketing strategy, social media also has its restrictions. Therefore one must consider the following facts before finalizing its plan regarding product marketing on these new platforms.
1. Pleasing Factor. There is a popular belief among internet marketing strategists that the presence of a product in social media will lull your critics in a smarter manner. Suppose someone is continuously writing negative about your product or involved in any sort of propaganda then you have a chance to go to that particular person and ask about the negative aspects of your product and tell them what you could do.
2. Lead Generating Factor. It is wrong to assume that social media could prove to be a lead generating machine. One must keep in mind that only a few business owners have successfully use social media for lead generations. But by keeping a track on the social media you can find your prospective buyer or seller. It may be possible that someone posted a lead on any site that he/she wants such products at this rate and it matches your expectations. So by keeping a track on the conversation or monitoring it you can find your business partners but don’t expect much more.
3. Cost Factor. Social media sometime may increase your cost as sometimes it takes too much time in bringing positive results for your business in comparison with the traditional marketing techniques. So just prepare yourself for it and don’t waste your precious time on ineffective social media as it may costs you dearer. On the whole, the social media is a long-term marketing tool but it is highly advisable not to waster your valuable time as it costs you more rather bringing good revenue.
4. Client Base. Though social media can provide a huge number of viewers but it hardly provides you a high-value client base. Suppose a firm dealing in tours and travel may reaps the business benefits from the social media rather than the firm providing services in different disciplines. Social media can work marvelously for the portal providing facilities like music, video or computer games. So every business owner needs to draw a solid social media marketing strategy.
5. Limited Approach. As we discussed earlier social media can’t replace other marketing efforts so every business owner must draw a strategy that is a blend of the traditional as well as new modes of advertising and promotion. It is highly advisable that not to compromise on the traditional and effective modes of internet marketing. In short, invest in social media tactics for your product and services but make sure that they would come in the way of effective marketing solutions.
Social Media Integration
Integrating social media to both personal and professional websites are becoming popular these days. Beautiful Icons and use of various tools to display social media feeds is another useful technique to grow with your social media accounts. Here I would like to show case some beautiful websites can prove as the source of Inspiration while working on a new personal or professional project.